The Nemasket Group offers personalized, flexible support to families and individuals with disabilities to live, work and develop relationships within our communities. We recognize that people are the experts on their own lives and that our role is to listen and walk together on the journey toward the realization of power, community membership and self-determination.
Our “VISION for the future”………
The Nemasket Group envisions individuals leading successful lives that are rich with meaningful roles.
Louis Nisenbaum, Founding Executive Director of The Nemasket Group, Inc. 1984 – 2011
In January of 2014, The Nemasket Group embarked upon a strategic planning process. What emerged was an overarching theme: Imagine Better – people leading enviable lives define the true meaning of community. It was intended that our organization further embed the concept of valued social roles into the structures of The Nemasket Group. To use a building metaphor, work hard at making sure that the foundation, walls, wiring, etc. of The Nemasket Group are infused with the relevant SRV strategies for building valued roles. The more we do this successfully , the more natural it will be for employees of the organization to work together at supporting the people served to be in valued roles leading to “the good things of life.”
As we began strategizing, The Nemasket Group was in the midst of significant change. Many stakeholders were still grieving the loss of the founding Executive Director, Louis Nisenbaum, and uncertain about the future of The Nemasket Group. It is crucial that The Nemasket Group remain true to the Mission of the organization, build on Lou’s legacy, and take action steps that will instill a sense of security in our stakeholders. Therefore, one of our Strategic Plan priorities is related to “Legacy, Stability, and Security”. We want to ensure that employees of the organization know who Louis Nisenbaum was, and understand the legacy he left with The Nemasket Group. One of the things we did to ensure this is to create an audio recording of interviews with people that Lou knew and the impact he had on their lives. We hope you enjoy the audio recordings and find inspiration in the words of those who knew Lou.
The Nemasket Group shall conduct itself according to the following guiding principles:
- Promote the right of people to exercise choice and decision-making in their lives.
- Ensure that supports and services are guided by a person’s goals and preferences.
- Recognize and support people to work and/or to have meaningful roles in the community.
- Enhance the community’s capacity to welcome and include people with disabilities.
- Support people’s right to develop and maintain relationships of their own choosing.
- Promote inclusion, meaningful roles, and positive perceptions of people with disabilities; actively discourage segregated, congregated activities that hinder individual expression and foster negative, stereotypical perceptions of people with disabilities.
- Acknowledge that it takes intention, perseverance, courage, faith, skills and support to realize one’s potential.
- Provide opportunities for individuals and families to develop their capacity to speak for themselves and others, to initiate ideas, and to control what happens in their lives.
- Provide opportunities to celebrate the ordinary and extraordinary events and rituals in people’s lives.
- Safeguard each individual’s right to privacy, dignity, and respect.
The Nemasket Group is a member of the New Bedford Area Chamber of Commerce (NBACC), ADDP (Association of Developmental Disabilities Providers), and the United Way of Greater New Bedford.
The Nemasket Group has been nominated for National and Regional awards for excellence.